Chicken Cacciatore is an Italian is a hearty, rustic hunters stew slow cooked,with onions, peppers, tomatoes, herbs, garlic, capers and wine, simmered down to a mellow perfection.
This rustic chicken cacciatore’s aroma is heavenly and just one bite is going to make you feel like you are in Tuscany overlooking the vineyards eating a marvellous meal that an Italian chef made just for you. Well, almost.
There are many methods of achieving yard bird Nirvana. Brining is the way to deliver chicken so good that even skinny people will be calling for seconds.
*Author’s note: Brine the day before cooking. Yes, it will make a difference. Trust me.Brine
Brining the chicken assures that juicy meat will be flavorful. Place chicken in a pot or large sealable container. Combine brine ingredients and pour over chicken. Place in fridge overnight or up to 36 hrs.
1 quart of unsweetened green tea (cooled)
2 tablespoons of Chinese five spice
1/4 cup of Kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 cloves of garlic sliced thin
*Author’s note: After brining, you can use you own favorite dry rub or sauce to make terrific grilled or roasted chicken. If you take one thing from this recipe and use, let it be the brining.
- 6-8 Chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 largest olives sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 large green pepper (or mixed colors) cut into strips
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes, cut up and juice reserved
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Hot cooked pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Dust chicken with flour. Season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken on all sides in oil and butter over medium-high heat. Remove chicken to platter.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir the onion, capers, pepper and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, herbs, garlic and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Serve over pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.